Help needed for EVoC/GSoC/Outreachy

Lyude Paul lyude at redhat.com
Thu Aug 5 20:22:40 UTC 2021

Hi everyone! I got some questions from someone that made me realize that
there's a couple of things that I forgot to mention here that might be
useful for folks to know regarding being a mentor:

* "Who decides what project and what student?"
  It's up to the student to come up with ideas for what they want to work on,
  although we will occasionally have a list of potential project ideas that
  students are welcome to use or draw inspiration from. Since X.org participates
  as a foundation, pretty much any of the projects under the X.org umbrella are
  allowed to do this if they're willing to come up with mentors. As for who the
  mentors are, that's really all just up to who's volunteering for it on a given
  project.
  As for how we decide what students we accept, that decision is usually made
  based off the quality of their project proposal along with whether a student
  seems self-sufficient enough to accomplish said project. Most students who
  come to us with a project idea already typically fall into this category. The
  final decision for this is typically made by the student's proposed mentor
  and/or our volunteer GSoC/Outreachy/EVoC admin.
* "I assume this is international?"
  X.org tries to make our student outreach programs as international as
  possible. GSoC covers most of the world, but there are definitely some areas
  it doesn't cover - which is why we've ran EVoC in the past, so that students
  in areas that wouldn't be eligible for GSoC would still have a chance at
  participating in a project. Outreachy also helps fill this gap, as I don't
  believe they have the same kind of international restrictions that GSoC does.
* What is the expected result, a grading?
  Yes.

--
Cheers,
 Lyude Paul (she/her)