[git pull] drm fixes for 5.14-rc4

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Fri Aug 6 19:04:04 UTC 2021

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 8:14 PM Linus Torvalds

> This might possibly have been fixed already by the previous drm pull,
> but I wanted to report it anyway, just in case.
>
> It happened after an uptime of over a week, so it might not be trivial
> to reproduce.
>
> It's a NULL pointer dereference in dc_stream_retain() with the code being
>
>         lock xadd %eax,0x390(%rdi) <-- trapping instruction
>
> and that's just the
>
>         kref_get(&stream->refcount);
>
> with a NULL 'stream' argument.
>
>   Call Trace:
>    dc_resource_state_copy_construct+0x13f/0x190 [amdgpu]
>    amdgpu_dm_atomic_commit_tail+0xd5/0x1540 [amdgpu]
>    commit_tail+0x97/0x180 [drm_kms_helper]
>    process_one_work+0x1df/0x3a0
>
> the oops is followed by a stream of
>
>   [drm:amdgpu_dm_atomic_check [amdgpu]] *ERROR* [CRTC:55:crtc-1]
> hw_done or flip_done timed out
>
> and the machine was not usable afterwards.

Hm that part is a bit disappointing because the atomic modeset commit
helpers are designed to recover from this (assuming we didn't fry the
hw). But amdgpu does these waits in amdgpu_dm_atomic_check() which is
decidedly not great (you're not supposed to block on hw or a previous
in that atomic_check ever, because it can be called by userspace in a
TEST_ONLY mode to figure out whether a desired config would work), and
then returns that error to userspace, which is worse.

I guess that's another area where the integration between what atomic
modeset expects and the DC backend provides is suboptimal. I think the
data structures we managed to fuse together fairly ok, but the
check/commit flow and semantics are a bit a struggle.

Anyway this was just an aside, I guess given the bug the driver
wouldn't have recovered anyway.
-Daniel

--
Daniel Vetter