Set video resolution and refresh rate at boot?

Paul pb.g at gmx.de
Thu Aug 26 16:35:25 UTC 2021

Hi there

Out of curiosity I would like to ask if it is possible to set a kernel
command line parameter for my Radeon 6900XT
that sets a specific resolution and refresh rate of a specific connected
monitor.

Ideally this parameter is set to the monitors used desktop (X11,
Wayland) resolution/refreshrate.

I did this for years with my Intel IGP's. I appended:

video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080 at 50

to the kernel command line. This worked beautifully and the result was
my monitor was preconfigured to a specific resolution and refresh
rate from the first lines of the kernel to the desktop (X11) and it did
not had to switch to anything else in between.

Another nice side effect is when in X11 one switches to the console, or
vice versa, via STRG+Fx, pretty much everyone has this annoying delay
because
the monitor has to switch between refresh rates again. With that
preconfigured settings at boot this gave a very satisfying feeling,
especially if one frequently
switches between console and X11 (or wayland maybe).

Is this kind of parameter implemented in the kernel/amdgpu driver?