Reuse framebuffer after a kexec (amdgpu / efifb)

Thomas Zimmermann tzimmermann at suse.de
Fri Dec 10 08:24:20 UTC 2021

Hi

Am 09.12.21 um 19:17 schrieb Guilherme G. Piccoli:
> Thanks again Alex! Some comments inlined below:
>
> On 09/12/2021 15:06, Alex Deucher wrote:
>> Not really in a generic way.  It's asic and platform specific.  In
>> addition most modern displays require link training to bring up the
>> display, so you can't just save and restore registers.
>
> Oh sure, I understand that. My question is more like: is there a way,
> inside amdgpu driver, to save this state before taking
> over/overwriting/reprogramming the device? So we could (again, from
> inside the amdgpu driver) dump this pre-saved state in the shutdown
> handler, for example, having the device in a "pre-OS" state when the new
> kexec'ed kernel starts.

We have have been talking about reading out and storing state of active
devices within DRM. So far nothing usable has emerged. In a distant
future, kexec might be able to store information about the active
framebuffer and the new kernel's simpledrm (or some other driver) could
use it as output.

But don't hold your breath for it. It won't happen anytime soon.

Best regards
Thomas

--
Thomas Zimmermann