amdgpu problem after kexec

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Thu Feb 4 00:54:41 UTC 2021

Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 3:36 AM Dave Young <dyoung at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Baoquan,
>>
>> Thanks for ccing.

The best debugging I can think of is can you arrange to have the amdgpu
modules removed before the final kexec -e?

That would tell us if the code to shutdown the gpu exist in the rmmod
path aka the .remove method and is simply missing in the kexec path aka
the .shutdown method.

>> > I am not familiar with graphical component. Add Dave to CC to see if
>> > he has some comments. It would be great if amdgpu expert can have a look.
>>
>> It needs amdgpu driver people to help.  Since kexec bypass
>> bios/UEFI initialization so we requires drivers to implement .shutdown
>> method and test it to make 2nd kernel to work correctly.
>
> kexec is tricky to make work properly on our GPUs.  The problem is
> that there are some engines on the GPU that cannot be re-initialized
> once they have been initialized without an intervening device reset.
> APUs are even trickier because they share a lot of hardware state with
> the CPU.  Doing lots of extra resets adds latency.  The driver has
> code to try and detect if certain engines are running at driver load
> time and do a reset before initialization to make this work, but it
> apparently is not working properly on your system.

There are two cases that I think sometimes get mixed up.

There is kexec-on-panic in which case all of the work needs to happen in
the driver initialization.

There is also a simple kexec in which case some of the work can happen
in the kernel that is being shutdown and sometimes that is easer.

Does it make sense to reset your device unconditionally on driver removal?
Would it make sense to reset your device unconditionally on driver add?

How can someone debug the smart logic of reset on driver load?

Eric