[RFC] a new approach to detect which ring is the real black sheep upon TDR reported

Andrey Grodzovsky andrey.grodzovsky at amd.com
Fri Feb 26 16:49:33 UTC 2021

On 2021-02-26 6:54 a.m., Liu, Monk wrote:

> [AMD Official Use Only - Internal Distribution Only]
>
> See in line
>
> Thanks

> Monk Liu | Cloud-GPU Core team

Just to confirm I understand correctly, Monk reports a scenario where
the second TDR that was reported by the innocent job is bailing out
BEFORE having a chance to run  drm_sched_stop for that scheduler which
should have reinserted the job back into mirror list (because the first
TDR run is still in progress and hence amdgpu_device_lock_adev fails for
the second TDR) and so the innocent job which was extracted from mirror
list in drm_sched_job_timedout is now lost.
If so and as a possible quick fix until we overhaul the entire design as
suggested in this thread - maybe we can modify
drm_sched_backend_ops.timedout_job callback to report back premature
termination BEFORE drm_sched_stop had a chance to run and then reinsert
back the job into mirror list from within drm_sched_job_timedout? There
is no problem of racing against concurrent drm_sched_get_cleanup_job
once we reinsert there as we don't reference the job pointer anymore
after this point and so if it's already signaled and freed right away -
it's ok.

Andrey