16 bpc fixed point (RGBA16) framebuffer support for core and AMD.

Mario Kleiner mario.kleiner.de at gmail.com
Thu May 6 00:33:53 UTC 2021

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 11:22 PM Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 5:25 PM Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 12:29 PM Mario Kleiner
> > <mario.kleiner.de at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Friendly ping to the AMD people. Nicholas, Harry, Alex, any feedback?
> > > Would be great to get this in sooner than later.
> > >

> > No objections from me.
> >

> I don't have any objections to merging this.  Are the IGT tests available?
>
> Alex
>.

IGT Patches are out now, already r-b by Ville, cc'd to you. As
mentioned in the cover letter for those, the new 16 bpc test cases on
top o f IGT master for kms_plane test now work nicely on my
RavenRidge, but i had to add hacks on top of kms_plane test to make it
work at all on RV, ie. get it to the point where it could execute the
tests for the new formats at all. Unmodified kms_plane from master
doesn't even work on RV with Linux 5.8. Seems IGT is quite a bit out
of date wrt. the kernel?

Things i had to do:

- Skip all tests for modifiers other than linear. --> Test
requirements wrt. tiling not met. Seems all the modifier support for
DCC, DCC_RETILE on Vega+ is missing from IGT so far?

- Skip test for format DRM_FORMAT_RGB565. CRC mismatch. Probably
because a 5 bpc container can't represent the net 8 bpc content from
the reference test image? Maybe all tests for < 8 bpc formats should
be skipped?

- Skip tests for yuv planar formats with BT2020 color space: Limited
range unsupported by DC, full range causes CRC mismatch.

- Problems with crc vblank count expected vs. actual for planar YUV formats.

- If the tests try to test more than the primary plane,
igt_pipe_crc_start() fails to open the crtc/crc/data file with -EIO.

See the attached patch with all the needed hacks. Not sure which of
these are limitations of the IGT test, and which are amdgpu bugs or hw
limitations, but applying this hack-patch on top of the patches for
the new formats makes kms_plane pass.

-mario