[Question/Bug?] Why does the sysfs current_link_speed report a different value than pp_dpm_pcie

Maxime Schmitt maxime.schmitt91 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 17:39:54 UTC 2022

Hello,

On my system the sysfs file "current_link_speed" is reporting "16.0 GT/s
PCIe".
The GPU has support for PCIe gen 4 (AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT).
However neither the CPU (AMD Ryzen 7 1700X) nor the motherboard have
support for PCIe gen 4.

The file "pp_dpm_pcie" returns the following:
0: 2.5GT/s, x1 310Mhz
1: 8.0GT/s, x16 619Mhz *
Which is correct.

Is this the expected behavior?

I am asking because I recently added AMDGPU support to a monitoring tool I
maintain (nvtop) and I don't know where to get the information from.

Cheers,
Maxime