[REQUEST] Unusable state of Laptop powered by AMD SmartShift

Pratham Sharma prathamsharmasv at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 21:22:56 UTC 2022

I come from
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1707

I have a DELL G5 SE, it's a laptop specced with a Ryzen 5 4600H, a Renoir
iGPU driving the display and RX5600M for all GPU intensive tasks.
It's as good as it gets, all AMD powered, it doesn't have a dGPU from the
You Know Who so I expected good open source driver support in the Linux
kernel.

But sadly, the state of the laptop is that it's not usable for daily
routine tasks like even opening a browser, maybe fire up Spotify or open
Steam/Lutris.
You would probably be guessing, I'm a novice who's filling the mailing list
with the issues which need to be reported on freedesktop's amd drm GitLab
but
the thing is it has been in the Issues for almost an year, here
<https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1707> it is. People on
that issue thread like me have spent months watching and reporting logs on
different kernel releases,
there's a person who has spent weeks on bisecting but we've got almost no
developer's attention. I would post logs here too but I think you'll find
enough logs on that Issues thread.

If you need logs here too, please let me know, I'll post them.

So I just want to say that it's like playing a Russian Roulette, everytime
I open/close a Electron/Chromium application like a browser Brave, or
Spotify or VS Code,
a gaming client like Steam/Lutris, there's a chance that it make the system
freeze in which even trying to switch to another TTY doesn't work and the
only option is
a reset with Magic SYSRQ keys. This has made my laptop unusable, I have had
my laptop crash in front of my friends in class by just trying to open VS
Code
believe me that's not a good look.

Could we finally get some dev attention on that GitLab thread and get a
patch out for this machine(there are other machines too with similar specs
reporting this issue on GitLab)?