Minimal GPU setup

Amol suratiamol at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 09:47:24 UTC 2022

Hello,

I am learning to program Radeon HD 7350 by reading the radeon
driver source in Linux, and the guides/manuals from AMD.

I understand the general flow of initialization the driver performs. I
have also been able to understand and re-implement the ATOM
BIOS virtual machine.

I am trying to program the device up from scratch (i.e. bare-metal).
Do I need to perform all those steps that the driver does? Reading
the evergreen_gpu_init function is demotivating; it initializes many
fields and registers which I suspect may not be required for a minimal
setup.

Is posting the BIOS and loading the microcode enough to get me started
with running basic tasks (DMA transfers, simple packet processing, etc.)?

Thanks,
Amol