AMDGPU: RX 6500 XT: System reset when loading module

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Mon Feb 14 06:20:18 UTC 2022

Hi Cal,

Am 14.02.22 um 00:58 schrieb Cal Peake:
> [ 2nd try after subbing to the ml :) ]
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get my shiny new Sapphire 6500 XT (PCI 1002:743f rev c1,
> subsys 1da2:e457) up and running, but upon loading the amdgpu driver, the
> system does a hard reset.

well that sounds strongly like some hardware problem. What power supply
do you have in that system?

 From your dmesg it looks like the kernel driver actually initializes
fines. So my educated guess is that as soon as the desktop tries to draw
we suck to much power and go into brown out reset.

> If I pass test=1, it will delay the reset -- that is, the framebuffer code
> will kick in and the resolution of the console will change, but after the
> testing is done, it resets.
>
> I've tested kernels 5.15.19, 5.16.9, and 5.17.0-rc3+, all with the latest
> firmware, all with the same result. Trying this on Slackware64 15.0, but
> it's the same story on Fedora Rawhide, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Ubuntu 22.04,
> and EndeavourOS.

Just to make sure that the hardware combination works fine: Does it
works on windows?

Thanks,
Christian.