Screen corruption using radeon kernel driver

Mikhail Krylov sqarert at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 20:48:20 UTC 2022

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 09:50:50AM -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:

>>> [excessive quoting removed]

>> So, is there any progress on this issue? I do understand it's not a high
>> priority one, and today I've checked it on 6.0 kernel, and
>> unfortunately, it still persists...
>>
>> I'm considering writing a patch that will allow user to override
>> need_dma32/dma_bits setting with a module parameter. I'll have some time
>> after the New Year for that.
>>
>> Is it at all possible that such a patch will be merged into kernel?
>>
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 9:31 AM Mikhail Krylov <sqarert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Unless someone familiar with HIMEM can figure out what is going wrong
> we should just revert the patch.
>
> Alex

Okay, I was suggesting that mostly because

a) it works for me with dma_bits = 40 (I understand that's what it is
without the original patch applied);

b) there's a hint of uncertainity on this line
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_device.c#n1359
saying that for AGP dma_bits = 32 is the safest option, so apparently there are
setups, unlike mine, where dma_bits = 32 is better than 40.

But I'm in no position to argue, just wanted to make myself clear.
I'm okay with rebuilding the kernel for my machine until the original
patch is reverted or any other fix is applied.