Frame Range in qapitrace GUI

Kain Osterholt kain.osterholt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 07:48:48 PDT 2012

I think the problem had to do with a mismatch in apitrace version.  I'm
viewing the trace on a different machine because our development boxes do
not come with the proper packages to build qapitrace.  I was debugging
another issue at the time with the _trace_user_arrays segfault and I think
I was going back and forth between versions to see if the issue existed in
the 3.0 tag.  I must have then traced with 3.0 and tried to view the
profiling info with the tip.  This resulted in retrace running into
segfaults which is why all the profiling data wasn't there.

Perhaps a file version verification would have helped in this case but I
don't really think it's necessary.  I should have just been more careful
all along.  The full profile now shows up correctly when both machines are
using the tip of apitrace.

A couple of other things I've noticed:

1. The pixel count seems to always be 1 for each draw call which is
definitely not accurate.
2. Getting the state info for a frame does get through the entire retrace
but then crashes on the last frame where it dumps an error "json_parser -
syntax error found, forcing abort"

I have the tip of apitrace as of monday.
OpenGL driver on the dev box is catalyst 12.1
I'm uncertain whether I am able to share the trace or not due to it
containing proprietary content which is unreleased at this time.  I can get
back to you on that.

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 7:11 AM, José Fonseca <jose.r.fonseca at gmail.com>wrote:

> I know that GPU/CPU skewing is a problem. apitrace tries to
> synchronize timings every now and then. But a 10x skewing seems like
> something is fundamentally wrong.
>
> Could you provide the trace? What OpenGL driver are you using?
>
> Jose
>
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Kain Osterholt
> <kain.osterholt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I seem to be having some trouble with the profiling view in the qapitrace
> > GUI.  I have a couple thousand frames in the trace file but the gui only
> > shows about 100 of them and the timeline is a bit skewed.  I can't seem
> > find a way to specify a range of frames to profile and/or scroll to see
> new
> > frames in the profiler.  Am I able to specify a range of frames to
> profile?
> >
> > --
> >
> > -Kain

-Kain