Back after a little break

Arthur Huillet arthur.huillet at free.fr
Mon Jan 28 08:23:48 PST 2013

Just a comment from an apitrace user:

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 15:39:43 +0000
José Fonseca <jose.r.fonseca at gmail.com> wrote:

> - I don't perceive "retrace" metaphor as wrong or particularly bad

It is. It doesn't mean anything. "Replay" is immediately understood, "retrace"
requires explanation and can't easily be remembered.

> - for consistency with the trace metaphor
> - for consistency with the project name (apitrace)

I'm sorry but I don't see where the consistency lies. I could argue the same way
about replacing any of the verbs with "trace" or a variant thereof.
The whole point of vocabulary is to be descriptive, and "retrace" isn't.

As for the VMWare argument, you don't need to update it - just alias "retrace"
to "replay".

--
Greetings,
A. Huillet