can I keep all the messages printed out? how to enable memory usage profile?

José Fonseca jose.r.fonseca at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 03:35:38 PST 2015

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 9:50 AM, 侯雨 <houyu at 360.cn> wrote:

> Hi, all,
>

> I am trying ApiTrace to check the performance of a software, when “lookup
> state” on some frame/function, there are messages shown in error dock,
> which I concern is a message on buffer info, there is information on mem
> usage on different memTypes, my questions are:
>

> 1.       what does PAGED type stands for? Can I get where it is used?

That message is provided by your OpenGL implementation, not apitrace
itself.  You'll need to lookup the GPU IHV documentation.

> 2.       After showing the message for some times, there are indication
> of “too many identical messages, ignoring” and no more displayed, can I get
> them all?

Not yet -- https://github.com/apitrace/apitrace/issues/395 -- but note that
every message causes the UI to load all calls of the frame where it lives,
so too many messages can easily eat up all your system's memory for large
traces.

Note that you'll still get _different_ messages  -- messages with other IDs
will still be displayed.  That is, the message limit is per message ID.

> 3.       There is profile function in menu and “memory usage” tick box in
> dialog box, but seems no output, where to find the result?

This was on Windows right?  Memory usage is not implemented on Windows.  I
should greyed it our or implement it.

> 4.       Why is Intel integrated card consuming memory increasingly, can
> program release them with some API?

It depends.  apitrace's glretrace program consumes memory for its own
internal purposes -- not all memory of that process is used by the OpenGL
driver.  It's also possible your app is leaking GL resources too.

Jose