[RFC] C-source code writing functionality for ApiTrace (glx/egl)

Arthur Huillet arthur.huillet at free.fr
Mon Sep 21 09:31:53 PDT 2015

On 2015-09-21 13:29, José Fonseca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This feature has been requested in the past, and you can read my
> general
> comments about it on
> https://github.com/apitrace/apitrace/issues/351#issuecomment-111272395
> .
>
> The short version is that, while I don't oppose others to implement and
> maintain such feature, I don't think it is worth my while.  Rather than
> diving attention and effort over two overlapping versions of the same
> functionality, I'd rather stay focused on just one.   (Likewise, I'd
> much
> rather see the whole apitrace community betting on `apitrace retrace`,
> rather than trying to compensate apitrace retrace shortcomings with a C
> generated code.)

I want to say that a C-dumping feature can be very useful for certain
use cases that retrace/trim don't cover very well.
One case is for driver developers to quickly create non-regression
tests. Another is to more easily modify the trace (sed is pretty
terrible), in order to trim it manually (needed more often than not on
complex applications!) and then modify some parameters (to test various
workarounds and hypotheses).
Performance testing may be argued to be a third case (you can't really
use glretrace for that).

I don't know overall how much value this really brings to Apitrace, but
it certainly is greater than zero for driver development. For
application development I am not so sure.

--
Greetings,
A.H.