[AppStream] Extended info and dep-11

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Tue Dec 20 14:13:38 UTC 2016

> Hi all.
> I'm new to the list so greetings to all.
>
> I'm one of the developers of an educational distro based on Ubuntu. We're
> implementing a store using appstream but we've meet one big issue due to our
> special needs:
> Although all of our software is installed via repos we've a few programs
> that use a standalone installer launched via a external program. It's
> software that we couldn't package (software provided by our government and
> other public institutions).
> The first solution was to use the <x-$key>value</x-$key> tag on our
> appdata.xml with the url of those external installers. This works really
> nice but now we're trying to generate a dep11 file to avoid distributing the
> xml file and let apt download all the info from our repo but those custom
> tags aren't included in the dep11 when we convert via appstreamcli the xml
> to yaml.
> Perhaps it's a silly question but,,, dep11 supports this custom tags? If
> answer is "No"... could apt work with the xml appdata or it only works with
> the yaml one?

Welcome to the list! :)
The answer to your question currently is "no", but it won't be in a
few days when the next AppStream and AppStream Generator releases are
out.
Then you will be able to define arbitrary extra values in metainfo
files, and can advise asgen to let them pass through into the DEP-11
data. Unfortunately this will require you to update your AppStream and
AppStream generator versions, if this is an issue I could probably
help you with backporting the patch to an older AppStream version.

Cheers,
    Matthias