[AppStream] Putting review data into AppStream

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 12:07:38 UTC 2016

On 19 July 2016 at 12:46, Matthias Klumpp <matthias at tenstral.net> wrote:
>> * To curate a set of verified reviews we can use offline for RHEL.
> That's a weird usecase, but on a second thought it does make some
> sense (why does this need to be offline though?).

Well, a lot of RHEL desktops don't have internet, and might only be
able to install applications mirrored on some kind of internal server.
Random apps parsing evil markup from random web services would
probably give the security team heartburn.

>> <reviews>
>>   <review karma="35" date="2016-07-01" rating_percent="80">
> Makes sense - we need to describe what karma is and what we expect the
> frontend to do with it.

I've defined karma as an signed integer that corresponds to how useful
other people found the review. Positive values = useful review,
negative = not useful.

>>     <lang>en_GB</lang>
>
> <lang/> is in line with the rest of the spec, but.... Tood bad we
> didn't go with <locale/> :P

I did wonder about if we wanted to support translations of reviews,
i.e. <description xml:lang="pt_BR"> - it also would mean we don't need
to have the standalone <lang> tag that is normally used in
<languages>.

>>     <version>0.1.2</version>
>>     <display_name>Richard Hughes</display_name>
>
> Make that "reviewer_name" maybe, and allow a "reviewer_id" to uniquely
> identify individual reviewers?

reviewer_name makes sense to me, but i do think the ID probably
belongs as an attribute of the review itself; it's going to be a hash
or integer and isn't going to be ever extended, so something like this
might work better:

<reviews>
  <review id="3045" karma="35" date="2016-07-01" rating_percent="80">
    <summary xml:lang="en_GB">Looks great!</summary>
    <description xml:lang="en_GB"><p>Long description with
markup</p></description>
    <version>0.1.2</version>
    <reviewer_name>Richard Hughes</reviewer_name>
  </review>
</reviews>

I rejected using <id> for the review ID as everywhere else this refers
to an appstream-id, e.g. "gimp.desktop". One other nice change might
to to use <name> rather than <reviewer_name> although I wonder if that
overloads things in the way I've just tried to avoid.

Richard