[AppStream] <suggests>

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Thu Jul 21 14:40:37 UTC 2016

> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to add <suggests> into appstream-glib. I've got a few
> questions:

Please don't implement that yet - this feature doesn't really work
well for tools like AppRecommender, where apps are not the source of
the recommendeation, which reduces its usefulness to just a way for
upstream projects to recommend stuff.

I would like to have some time to flesh out the details further,
especially in the light of the new AppStream curation metadata
proposal, which I am going to make.
The sprint is taking quite some of my time though, that's why I
haven't written down the proposal yet.

> Is it supposed to be:
>
> <component>
>   <suggests type="upstream">
>     <id>org.example.Bar.desktop</id>
>     <id>...</id>
>   </suggests>
>   <suggests type="some-other-method">
>     <id>org.example.Baz.desktop</id>
>     <id>...</id>
>   </suggests>
> </component>
>
> or:
>
> <component>
>   <suggests type="upstream">
>     <suggest type="upstream">
>       <id>org.example.Bar.desktop</id>
>       <id>...</id>
>     </suggest>
>   </suggests>
> </component>
>
> To me the former makes sense, but the tag name doesn't -- in the other
> tags a plural means we nest singular terms. Would doing this make more
> sense:
>
> <component>
>   <suggest type="upstream">
>     <id>org.example.Bar.desktop</id>
>     <id>...</id>
>   </suggest>
>   <suggest type="some-other-method">
>     <id>org.example.Bar.desktop</id>
>   </suggest>
> </component>
>
> I don't see the need in a <suggests> parent, although I'd be up for
> that if you think it would make sense. Thanks!

The idea was exactly what you proposed last, but as said, I am not
sure that having this is a good idea at time, before we have a
consistent story for how suggestions are handled in AppStream.

Cheers,
    Matthias