[AppStream] Allowed chars in the AppStream ID

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Mon Oct 10 19:58:56 UTC 2016

> Hi all,
>
> I've just tried to launch the URL
> appstream://gravatar@jr.rlabs.io.shell-extension from my browser,
> which of course doesn't work as it treats the gravatar@ bit gets used
> as the login name, and then jr.rlabs.io.shell-extension doesn't match
> anything in gnome-software. If we're supporting the appstream:// url
> prefix, perhaps we need to limit the allowed chars in the appstream
> ID? I'm also using a manual shell-extension as i'm using the ID from
> the existing gnome-shell so I'm using a .shell-extension suffix which
> may or may not be sane. Converting the @ to _ might be an easy
> solution here, ideas welcome.

Already solved:
E - test.xml:gravatar at jr.rlabs.io.shell-extension:3
    The component ID [gravatar at jr.rlabs.io.shell-extension] contains
an invalid character: '@'

>From the spec:
The <id> tag is a unique identifier for this component. It must
contain only ASCII characters, dots, hyphens and numbers. Spaces are
not allowed.

We should likely make that "ASCII characters" piece "alphanumeric
ASCII characters", because I think that's what the intention there
was.

Cheers,
    Matthias