[AppStream] Dependencies on things in AppStream

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Tue Mar 27 12:18:47 UTC 2018

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 9:44 PM, Matthias Klumpp <matthias at tenstral.net> wrote:
>> [...]
> Wouldn't it make more sense to have the requirements discussion first?
> As put here it all looks very random to me.
>
> 1) we probably need a way to reach these packages, especially
> considering that some restrictions may be arbitrary. What's the
> minimum memory required for Apache? Should we stop listing software
> that requires bluetooth on devices that don't have it?

That's up to the software center. I expect hardware requirements to be
in the recommends tag most of the time, as them being in the requires
tag means that the software will absolutely not work without the
hardware specifications being fulfilled.
Ultimately, it's up to the software center on what to display.

> 2) probably not, but I don't think I've seen that need yet.
>
> Also I was expecting this to include the form factor discussion, I
> don't see it mentioned though. Do you expect this spec to tackle it?

Yes, but since a form factor is not a thing that the software requires
from the device, but more a range of devices the software is
compatible with, I think it would make sense to discuss a new and
dedicated tag for it later.
If we see that form factors fit the dependency definition anyway, we
can add them to it later as well. I deliberately didn't include that
discussion, because discussing how to represent form factors would
really derail the dependencies discussion, and is IMHO better fit for
its own dedicated thread.

Cheers,
    Matthias