[Authentication] KDE vs. Gnome vs. Firefox password management applications

Stef Walter stef-list at memberwebs.com
Fri Dec 11 14:37:47 PST 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I am not a coder, but like any engineer I am good at finding effective
> solutions to unique problems. What challenges or uncertainties need to
> be addressed? From the outside this looks like a straighforward issue,
> but of course there may be legacy code or other problem areas that
> need to be addressed. Again, I do not code but if I am made aware of
> the problems maybe I could suggest a solution.

Currently we're making good progress on the nearly complete GNOME
implementation. And while doing that I've found lots of areas where the
API was unrealistic or unimplementable. So yes the DBus API is still in
flux.

I'm not sure that Michael has started on a QT/KDE
implementation/bindings. I'm slightly concerned that input from his
implementation experience may come too late.

But I've been trying to think 'big picture' while working with the DBus
API and implementing it, so it may be that we'll have hit the major
issues and the KDE implementation will just work out.

Once the GNOME implementation is complete, I'd be willing to 'sign off'
on the state API.

Then it would be up to Michael representing KDE and anyone else in the
community to look it over again and make sure they're comfortable with
it as it is. We need to make sure that we all feel it's mature enough to
be called 1.0.

Cheers,

Stef