[Authentication] Aliases

Stef Walter stef-list at memberwebs.com
Sun Dec 13 09:08:13 PST 2009

Michael Leupold wrote:
> But won't the signals be advertised on the bus anyway if aliases implement the
> Collection interface? That seems to imply that they are there but serve no
> use. Don't get me wrong, you convinced be that they are not needed - but can
> they be hidden?

Yes again aliases are just another path to the collection. So
technically they don't actually 'implement' any interface.

But I see what you mean. The signals are there representing by DBus
bindings, and then they never get emitted. It's a minor issue, but
confusing for clients of the API.

I guess we could make it so the introspection info just doesn't have
signals when an alias is being introspected. But this would be a detail
that the service would have to implement. It would also be a bit
inconsistent with essentially two different Collection interfaces.

Or we could document this specifically in the spec, and say that the
signals of aliases are never emitted.

Cheers,

Stef