[Authentication] Open Issue: Passwords for new Collections

Stef Walter stef-list at memberwebs.com
Wed Oct 14 17:47:08 PDT 2009

This discussion assumes that the service locks collections individually,
which gnome-keyring does.

In some cases when a new collection is created, it's good enough to lock
it with the users login password. In effect this does not prompt the
user for a new password.

However in many cases, the whole point of creating a new collection is
to put a different lock password on it.

We currently have no facility in the API by which a client application
can request a new password be prompted for.

In addition, what's been nice about the API is that no calls are
blocking, and BeginAuthenticate/CompleteAuthenticate are the only ones
that actually have asynchronous state.

I've been thinking about this problem for a while.
 * Either we introduce another pair of calls for prompting for
   new authentication.
 * Or we overload BeginAuthenticate/CompleteAuthenticate to do this.

I'm leaning toward the latter. In particular:

 * Specify a certain 'reason' argument to BeginAuthenticate,
   which specifies why the authenticate is being done.
 * One reason might be: 'unlock'
   - This signifies a normal unlock of the collection/item.
 * Another reason might be: 'change'
   - Prompts the user to change locking (usually a new password).
   - Also used to set a new password. Service would know whether
     a previous password was set.

What do you all think? In addition this covers the use case of changing
a collection lock (usually a password). We had previously said this
would be service specific, but it seems like we'll to bake something
like this (at least for new collections) in the API. It's nice to have
it cover both new, and collections previously created.

Cheers,

Stef