[Authentication] Question about multiple domains and trust

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Jul 31 08:00:09 PDT 2013

Greetings,

I'm running Fedora 19 in a lab of computers and would really like to authenticate them against Active Directory.  They have historically used yp/nis.

I got it going yesterday sort of.  Bear with me as I provide the scenario.

I work on a university campus.  There is the University domain and then some colleges have their own domains that tie into that.  I do NOT work on that stuff... but I do have domain admin rights to join machines to my college-based domain... which trusts the university one.

So, I have joined coe.{state}.edu and can authenticate as a coe user.  Most of the students have @university.{state}.edu domain accounts.  I do NOT have domain creditials on the university domain.  On the Windows side of the boxes (they are dual boot), I can join the college domain and since there is a trust relationship in AD, @university users can also authenticate.

Is there a way to do that with realmd?

So, to recap, I've joined the Fedora 19 box to the @coe domain and @coe users can authenticate.  I would like @university domain users to also authenticate but I don't see an obvious way for that.  What to do?

I do have another question about the default permissions on user home directories but I'll save that for the next post.

Thanks in advance,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street