[avahi] autotooling python scripts

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Wed Aug 3 05:10:15 EST 2005

Hi,

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 16:53 +0200, Sebastien Estienne wrote:
> > > For the moment i install avahi.py in
> > > /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/avahi/__init__.py but it's not a long
> > > term solution, so i won't commit this.
> >
> > I don't know much about site packages, but shouldn't it be
> i don't know much either at the moment :)
> > sufficient to put avahi.py into
> > /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/avahi.py and that's it?
> it seems that site-packages/avahi.py is equivalent to avahi/__init__.py
> with the added value, that you can then add more files in avahi/

Yeah, that's how it works.  If you expect the avahi bindings to only
ever be one file, just dropping avahi.py in is fine.  If you want it to
be larger, then use the directory and __init__.py.

> I also don't know where i'm supposed to store SimpleGladeApp.py, it
> seems that is should be package on its on and installed in
> /usr/lib/python2.4/
> But until debiab/ubuntu/whatever package it, i don't really know where
> to store it, i mean put it in $DATADIR/avahi/python/ and ajust the
> import path in my pygtk app.

Is it just a sample program that illustrates how to use the bindings?
If that's the case, it should probably be included in EXTRA_DIST but not
installed anywhere.  Distributors can pick it up and put it
in /usr/share/doc if they want.

Joe