Fwd: [avahi] autotooling python scripts

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.de
Wed Aug 3 06:07:40 EST 2005

On Tue, 02.08.05 21:35, Sebastien Estienne (sebastien.estienne at gmail.com) wrote:

> 2005/8/2, Joe Shaw <joeshaw at novell.com>:
> > Hi,

> > > i think that it may be usefull for end user, it's a graphical tool to
> > > browse the network.
> >
> > Ah, ok, in that case you could just make sure that it is a+x, put
> > "#!/usr/bin/python" at the top, and stick it in /usr/bin sans .py
> i also saw #!/usr/bin/env python
> what is it about?

It's a hack for not writing the real path to the python binary in the
#! line. Not on all systems "python" is found in /us/bin. On the
other hand "env" is found in /usr/bin on most systems. The env tool
interprets $PATH.

It's hackish though since passing additional command line arguments
doesn't work when using env.

> > extension.  I'd suggest renaming it to something more descriptive,
> > though, like "avahi-browse" or whatever. :)
> we already have avahi-browse-service , and avahi-browse-domain

do we? where?

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/