[avahi] Preparing for avahi 0.1

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.de
Tue Aug 9 05:29:46 EST 2005

Hi!

We're currently preparing for release of avahi 0.1. Hence I'd like to
ask you all to check out an updated copy of avahi and do some testing
for us! The only missing piece for 0.1 is the C client wrapper around
the DBUS API lathiat is feverishly working on (right?).

Avahi now has a complete set of man pages, however written by a
non-native English speaker (me, to be exact). I'd like to ask all
native speakers to have a quick glance on them and fix every typo or
other error you find. (send me a patch or commit your changes
directly, in case you have an SVN account) The homepage got some
pretty extensive updates in the last days, since it is a wiki you can
apply your changes directly.

The init scripts distributed with avahi are mostly out of
date. Currently we have some for Debian, Suse and Gentoo. Only the
Debian scripts (since they are the only ones the debelopers use) are
up to date. If you are interested that we ship working scripts for
your distribution, please consider sending us patches for this. Please
use the Debian scripts a example how high quality init scripts for
avahi look like. (i.e. put the real path to the avahi-daemon in the
script using sed, provide two scripts for avahi-daemon and
avahi-dnsconfd) Some distributions store some kind of dependency
information in init scripts. If yours does make sure that

  - avahi-dnsconfd requires avahi-daemon unconditionally
  - avahi-daemon requires DBUS, unless --disable-dbus was passed to "configure"

Yes, we still need a logo.

Thank you,

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/