[avahi] DBUS API change

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.de
Tue Aug 9 10:46:16 EST 2005


I changed the DBUS API a little:

The signatures of org.freedesktop.Avahi.Server.ResolveService() and
org.freedesktop.Avahi.EntryGroup.AddService() changed. TXT record
lists are now encoded as "array of array of byte" instead of "array of
strings". This was necessary because the mDNS spec explicitly allows
arbitrary 8 bit data to be included in TXT records, while DBUS allows
only UTF-8 strings.

Unfortunately python-dbus is broken when it comes to "bytes" (funny,
ha?). avahi-publish-service will now break unless dbus-python is
patched with the patch I prepared in the following bug report:


No, I don't see any sensible workaround. I thought about simply
disabling sending any TXT record data for the moment. Unfortunately
this triggers another (complex) bug in python-dbus:


Yes indeed, python-dbus is a large pile of bugs. 

Sebastien, I patched avahi-discover to deal with this signature change.


Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
Url : http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/avahi/attachments/20050809/e3823f35/attachment.pgp

More information about the avahi mailing list