[avahi] Bonjour compat

Celso Pinto cpinto at yimports.com
Sun Dec 18 15:07:03 PST 2005

Hi Sebastien,

thanks for taking the time to reply to my message. Although I understand
your point of view, the iFolder team's focus is on providing Bonjour
integration because it apparently is cross-platform and their goals are
fulfilled. With Bonjour, iFolder works very nicely.

The thing is, most Linux distributions are focusing in Avahi because
it's a really great product (I'm not trying to kiss some arses) and
since Avahi provides ABI/API compatibility with Bonjour - or so is
advertised - it would be really nice if applications like iFolder worked
with Avahi out-of-the-box, taking advantage of this compat. layer, even
if some small fixes needed to be done.

In the medium to long term, the best solution would be to increase the
compatibility layer for Bonjour, because applications designed to take
advantage of this framework could be developed in a truly cross-platform
way, including support for those platforms where Avahi isn't available
and still work in Linux without having to go through some extra steps.

Cheers,
Celso