[avahi] Bonjour compat

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.de
Tue Dec 20 15:13:09 PST 2005

On Sun, 18.12.05 23:07, Celso Pinto (cpinto at yimports.com) wrote:

> In the medium to long term, the best solution would be to increase the
> compatibility layer for Bonjour, because applications designed to
> take

No. That solution is far from "best". The compatibility layers shall
and will die as soon as all important Unix/Linux software has been
ported to Avahi.

> advantage of this framework could be developed in a truly cross-platform
> way, including support for those platforms where Avahi isn't available
> and still work in Linux without having to go through some extra
> steps.

Please note that the compatibility layer is a kludge and waste of
resources, nothing more than a short time fix to speed up Avahi
adoption by distributors.

We consider it an abuse of the compatibility layers to develop new
applications based on them. To stress that we will drop the compat
layers in the upcoming 0.6.2 release. (To make distributors happy we
will continue to maintain them as an external project for a short
time, though. But death is near.)

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/