[avahi] Avahi dnsconfd (and a bit about running avahi)

Steev steev at steev.net
Mon Jul 4 04:09:47 EST 2005

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> avahi-dnsconfd doesn't require DBUS. Only avahi-daemon does.

Alrighty, will change that, and I am trying to figure out the best way
to enable or disable the need dbus line for the avahi init-script, I am
thinking perhaps I could use a sed/patch in my ebuild which would add
the line if the dbus use flag is enabled.

> Is this when avahi-daemon is running? It didn't join the mDNS
> multicast groups 224.0.0.251 or ff02::fb on any interface. Either you
> didn't run avahi at this point or it didn't detect eth0 as a
> "relevant" interface.

Yes, this is when avahi is running.

>>steev at mebius ~ $ netstat -gn
>>IPv6/IPv4 Group Memberships
>>Interface       RefCnt Group
>>- --------------- ------ ---------------------
>>lo              1      224.0.0.1
>>eth0            1      224.0.0.251
>>eth0            1      224.0.0.1
>>ppp0            1      224.0.0.1
>>lo              1      ff02::1
>>eth0            1      ff02::1:ff33:fde1
>>eth0            1      ff02::1
>

> This time the IPv4 multicast group 224.0.0.251 has been
> joined. However: since you're running both avahi-daemon and
> avahi-discover (right?) the refcount should be 2.

I am running both the daemon and avahi-discover at this point, so I
would think that the refcount *should* be 2.

> You disabled IPv6 for the avahi daemon right?
>
> This looks fine, though.

Actually, I don't know if I enabled or disabled it.  I guess I need to
look into that.  I don't actually *use* IPv6, but I have the support for
it in my kernel and applications for whenever I get around to finally
setting it up...

> It looks like avahi-discover detected all relevant interfaces and
> works fine, but avahi-daemon didn't. Which is interesting since both
> use the same code for detecting network configuration. The difference
> is probably that you started avahi-daemon before configuring your
> network and avahi-discover after it. (Which is what you did, correct?)
> It seems you spotted a bug in the netlink code of avahi.
>
> Please restart avahi-daemon after configuring the network once and see
> if it works than.

I had the eth0 device up before I started avahi.  It is the same thing,
when I start avahi-discover, it recognizes eth0 as a suitable device,
but not the avahi-daemon itself.  I also tried it last night while I was
at a local coffee shop with free wifi access.  The same thing happened
there, once I had done "ifconfig wlan0 multicast" it showed up as a
relevant device to avahi-discover, but avahi-daemon simply gave the
Received packet from invalid device.

Also, I have removed tunneling/bridging support from my kernel for now,
and I no longer get the server_add_service fail in iface.c.  So the
tunl0 device was definately at fault for that.

> I'll need to analyze this further.

Let me know if there is anything I can do!

- -- steev