[avahi] DBUS

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.de
Thu Jul 28 04:55:51 EST 2005

Hi!

Since lathiat seems to have vanished without a trace (at least he
doesn't respond to my emails), I took some time today to get DBUS
support in avahi working, partially at least.

Current SVN contains support for registering mDNS services via
DBUS. Support for browsing/resolving is not yet available.

The interface available through DBUS is described here:

http://0pointer.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/avahi-daemon/DBUS-API?rev=171&root=flexmdns&view=auto

Yes, it is very superficial, but together with the doxygen docs should
be enough to get clients working.

An example client written in python is available here:

http://0pointer.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/avahi-daemon/dbus-test.py?rev=172&root=flexmdns&view=auto

Sebastien, do you want to join me in wrapping the missing APIs?

For the Debian users: This requires DBUS 0.3x which isn't in Debian
yet. And python2.4-gtk2 which is missing, too. The former I compiled
in a temporary directory, while for the latter I stole a package from
ubuntu.

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/