[avahi] DBUS

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Thu Jul 28 07:01:47 EST 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 10:33:42PM +0200, Sebastien Estienne wrote:
> 2005/7/27, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.de>:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Since lathiat seems to have vanished without a trace (at least he
> > doesn't respond to my emails), I took some time today to get DBUS
> > support in avahi working, partially at least.
> >
> > Current SVN contains support for registering mDNS services via
> > DBUS. Support for browsing/resolving is not yet available.
> >
> > The interface available through DBUS is described here:
> >
> > http://0pointer.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/avahi-daemon/DBUS-API?rev=171&root=flexmdns&view=auto
> >
> > Yes, it is very superficial, but together with the doxygen docs should
> > be enough to get clients working.
> >
> > An example client written in python is available here:
> >
> > http://0pointer.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/avahi-daemon/dbus-test.py?rev=172&root=flexmdns&view=auto
> >
> > Sebastien, do you want to join me in wrapping the missing APIs?
> Yes sure, i'll look at what you did asap.
>
> Maybe we could start writting the DBUS-API (filling the document that
> you started), and then we can share the implementation part
>
> what do you think?

My appologies for not being around, I had some family issues in the last
couple weeks which are OK now so I will be around.

The code looks good lennart, I'll post my suggestions for the API later
today and we can discuss from there? If any of you want to hang around
#avahi on freenode, perhaps we can all get together at some point and
discuss it, otherwise the mailing list is good.

> > For the Debian users: This requires DBUS 0.3x which isn't in Debian
> > yet. And python2.4-gtk2 which is missing, too. The former I compiled
> > in a temporary directory, while for the latter I stole a package from
> > ubuntu.

Keep in mind you dont want to install dbus on your system if you are
running udev, hal or anything else llikethat because they will all
break without the appropriate patches :)

Trent

> > Lennart
> >
> > --
> > Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
> > ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/
> >

> --
> Sebastien Estienne

Trent Lloyd <lathiat at bur.st>