[avahi] GAIM support for iChat Bonjour features

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Wed Jun 29 03:25:08 PDT 2005

Juanjo,

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 11:55:41AM +0200, juanjo molinero wrote:
> Hi,
>    my name is Juanjo Molinero and I am currently working in a Bonjour
> plugin for GAIM as part of the Google Summer of Code. Mark Doliner of
> the GAIM team start this plugin coding its own mDNS support, but now
> we think that would be better to rely in some external daemon.
>     In order to use the one your are trying to program, I would like
> to know how far is your code from a fully functional version (any
> release date?), and if there are any plans to release it with the
> major Linux distributions (Ubuntu, Debian, ...).

Hi! Great to hear you are working on this project.

Unfortunately, the d-bus API to Avahi is not ready yet (I am working on
this at the moment, I hope to have it working within the next week or
two).

The API that exists currently is for building a daemon, such as the one
to speak dbus, it should not be used for applications because running
more than 1 mDNS stack on the same machine is bad (thus i you ran a
daemon and an application, or two applications, it would cause problems).

And yes, we plan to ship with as many distributions as possible,
obviously, I have personal plans of getting it involved with Ubuntu,
Debian and GNOME.

If you wanted to begin working now, one possibility would be to use the
avahi-core API to develop your project, and move to the d-bus API at a
later date.

Cheers,
Trent

> Regards,