[avahi] Status Report

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Mon Mar 28 11:48:35 PST 2005

Hi Guys (for the few of you that are subscribed),

Just a quick status report, working:

 * Reads/decodes queries, listens on interfaces etc
New stuff:
 * Can respond to hard coded queries
 * Monitors and adapts to network interface changes with netlink
 * Doesn't try to listen on interfaces that are either loopback or don't
support multicast
 * Sending queries (that are hardcoded)

What I am working on is
 * Dynamic query response list, see dbus support
 * Caching
 * Name collision detection
 * DBus Support for clients
   - I'm in a bit of a dilemma here of whether to code with the new API
(0.3 series) or the old one (0.2) so people can use it now, or save me
the effort of porting later, I'll deal with this bridge later in the
week
 * Non-netlink module for non-linux systems (or linux systems without
netlink)

I am also rewriting the code I've borrowed to decode DNS packets so that
it
 * Uses a buffer implementation to handle bad packets better
 * Handles bad packets better and doesn't segfault
 * The code is much cleaner, and more understandable by me :)

I hope to get a working version of this project, and a nice demo (such
as DAAP support in itunes, or ichat support in gaim (or a standalone
app), plus my little hack for discovering distcc hosts) before
Linux.conf.au in 3 weeks! Mmmmm, pressure :)

Cheers,
Trent

--
Trent Lloyd <lathiat at bur.st>