[avahi] avahi-resolve-host-name.c

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.de
Mon Nov 7 03:46:28 PST 2005

On Mon, 07.11.05 01:10, Sebastien Estienne (sebastien.estienne at gmail.com) wrote:

> hello,
>
> A post to keep the mailing list alive, as most discussion occured on
> irc these days  :)
>
> why not renaming avahi-resolve-host-name.c in avahi-resolve.c
> 1) it does resolve both host-name and addresses
> 2) it's more coherent with avahi-browse.c
> 3) it's shorter to type when you don't completion ;)

avahi-resolve-host-name.c builds actually two programs: a-r-host-name
and a-r-address. Depending on the value of argv[0] you get either one
or the other.

When I implemented that i tried to replace in C what Avahi 0.5 already
provided in Python. For better compatibility with 0.5 the tools have
the same names and accept exactly the same command line arguments as
the old versions. I think that "compatibility" is a good reason to
leave the stuff as it is now. Don't you think?

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/