[avahi] avahi-resolve-host-name.c

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.de
Mon Nov 7 06:21:12 PST 2005

On Mon, 07.11.05 14:43, Sebastien Estienne (sebastien.estienne at gmail.com) wrote:

> > When I implemented that i tried to replace in C what Avahi 0.5 already
> > provided in Python. For better compatibility with 0.5 the tools have
> > the same names and accept exactly the same command line arguments as
> > the old versions. I think that "compatibility" is a good reason to
> > leave the stuff as it is now. Don't you think?
>
> I see the point, but why not renaming the source file avahi-resolve.c and build
> avahi-resolve, then symlinks it to a-r-address and a-r-host-name, so
> the argv[0] tricks would still work, and no duplicate binary, and you
> still have "compatibility".
> (btw the symlink is what bash does for bin/sh)
> Don't you think?

Oh. Actually it is already intended to be built as
avahi-resolve-host-name exclusively and then symlinked to
a-r-a. (Though that link is not yet created automatically on install)

We could certainly add another symlink to a-r without a suffix. Or
rename the main tool to avahi-resolve and make the other two names
symlinked aliases. This would need some minor code changes, though.

Mhmm, I guess you convinced me. I will make the appropriate changes
shortly.

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/