[avahi] Apple computers and name resolution

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.de
Tue Oct 4 15:31:17 PDT 2005

On Tue, 04.10.05 18:16, MDonoughe (mdonoughe at bot24.hn.org) wrote:

> OK. I got it now. STrace revealed that nss-mdns couldn't open the
> socket /usr/var/run/avahi-daemon/socket. That was because there isn't
> supposed to be a usr there. After linking /var to /usr/var,
> everything works fine. The problem was in how nss-mdns handled IPv6
> addresses with it's own resolver code.

Which module are you using? libnss_mdns4? libnss_mdns6? libnss_mdns?

I guess you passed --prefix=/usr to nss-mdns's configure script?
nss-mdns will try to connect to
$(localstatedir)/run/avahi-daemon/socket which depends on
$(localstatedir) which in turn depends on $(prefix), which is set to
"/" by default in configure.ac. If you overwrite it, it will not point
to the right thing.

Somehow nss-mdns' internal lookup routines (which are used when no
avahi-daemon is found running) failed.  I wonder why they did
that. Perhaps because you used the wrong module of those listed
above. I will investigate this further.

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/