[avahi] Re: Name resolution problem

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.de
Wed Sep 7 07:10:30 PDT 2005

On Wed, 07.09.05 14:21, Ross Burton (ross at burtonini.com) wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 15:11 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Actually I run avahi in reflector mode on Linux 2.4.26 24/7 on my
> > router box (x86). (--disable-gtk --disable-dbus --disable-python
> > --disable-glib --disable-qt3 --disable-qt4) So its actually pretty
> > well tested on 2.4. I am suprised that it doesn't work for
> > you. (Privilige dropping works fine here as does name resolution) What
> > is your exact kernel version?
>
> Interesting.  My router is running 2.4.17_kuro-box.  I've no idea how
> patched up it is.

Browsing through the kernel changelogs it seems that there were quite
a lot multicasting bugfixes between 2.4.17 and 2.4.26. e.g. this
changelog contains "PPC32: Fix a multicast bug in the MPC 8xx / 8260
enet drivers", which resembles your setup quite a bit, doesn't it?

http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/changelog/v2.4/22/index.html

> > > The workstation name is being broadcast, but the name resolution isn't.
> > > I'm about to start hitting the network with ethereal, but I though I'd
> > > post now in case anyone has any good ideas.
> >
> > This smells a bit like that multiple IP address on a single interface
> > issue Trent already mentioned. Did you set some kind of explicit mcast
> > route?
>
> "ifconfig eth1 promisc" is enough to make avahi work all the time, I've
> pretty much decided this is a broken driver. :(

It might be possible to set ALLMULTI instead of PROMISC for the
interface. This is less intrusive.

May I consider this bug report "closed" now, right?

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/