[avahi] Re: Avahi daemon dies on certain hostnames

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Apr 7 05:49:13 PDT 2006

On Fri, 07.04.06 13:31, Iván Sánchez Ortega (i.sanchez at mirame.net) wrote:

> El Sábado 01 de Abril de 2006 16:29, Lennart Poettering escribió:
> [...]
> > The scheme you suggest isn't invertible. There needs to be a way to
> > detect whether a sanitized string has been escaped or not.
>
> Don't worry about invertibility: Apple does not.
>
> I managed to get my hands over a iBook G4 today, and tried to set its hostname
> to "fóobar". Interestingly, the mDNS response has another charset, and it
> does not kill Avahi. Check the attachments at http://avahi.org/ticket/21
>
> Seen that, I agree with the idea of "f*ck^H^H^H^Hignore devices with non-UTF8
> hostnames".
>
> However, at some point, MacOS X converts "fóobar.local" into "f-obar.local".
> I'll post a screenshot of that ASAP. I wonder how Apple deals with name
> collisions... :-/

These are actually two different things. One thing is how to deal with
hostnames with invalid UTF8 that are recieved from other hosts, and
the other is how to mangle the local hostname before publishing it on
the LAN. Ther former mapping requires perfect bijectiveness, the
latter doesn't.

It's perfectly valid for Apple to mangle the local host name the way
they do. However, I don't think it really is necessary. One could
publish an UTF8-Domain here directly. As long as it is correct UTF8 i
see no problem here.

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/