[avahi] problems with avahi-daemon on FreeBSD/sparc64

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 14 12:00:53 PDT 2006

I tried to get nss-mdns running on FreeBSD by replacing the use of
IP_PKTINFO by IP_RECVDSTADDR, and by reverting to the single-address
code from nss-mdns 0.1.  Neither would work, but I can't tell exactly
what is going on, other than that both the NSS and direct test
programs in the distribution don't work.  So I tried using Avahi
instead of having nss-mdns query directly.

I installed the Avahi port for FreeBSD, which gives errors on startup:

avahi-daemon 0.6.9 starting up.
WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!
New relevant interface hme0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface hme0.IPv4 with address 10.0.0.200.
Network interface enumeration completed.
Registering new address record for 10.0.0.200 on hme0.
iface.c: avahi_server_add_address() failed: Not permitted
Registering HINFO record with values 'SPARC64'/'FREEBSD'.
Failed to add HINFO RR: Not permitted
Registering new address record for 10.0.0.200 on hme0.
iface.c: avahi_server_add_address() failed: Not permitted
iface.c: avahi_server_add_service() failed: Not permitted
iface.c: avahi_server_add_service() failed: Not permitted
Registering new address record for 10.0.0.200 on hme0.
iface.c: avahi_server_add_address() failed: Not permitted
iface.c: avahi_server_add_service() failed: Not permitted
Server startup complete. Host name is dizzy.local. Local service cookie is 2985461198.
Failed to add service 'Remote Terminal on dizzy' of type '_ssh._tcp', ignoring service group (/usr/local/etc/avahi/services/ssh.service): Not permitted

I set disable-publishing=yes because it was causing avahi-daemon to
hang; without that, I get:

avahi-daemon 0.6.9 starting up.
WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!
New relevant interface hme0.
IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface hme0.
IPv4 with address 10.0.0.200.
Network interface enumeration completed.
Registering new address record for 10.0.0.200 on hme0.
Registering HINFO record with values 'SPARC64'/'FREEBSD'
[hang]

Any ideas?

--
Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>