[avahi] Can't browse published services

robert robert at atlantico.com.br
Thu Dec 28 06:07:50 PST 2006

Hi all,

I'm new to avahi and zeroconf. I've compiled and installed the latest svn on
suse 10.2., which incidently came preinstalled with mDNSresponder and a rpm
package of avahi - I disabled and am ignoring the suse packages AFAICT.

Starting avahi-daemon with --debug , I can see the published service from  KDE
Public File Server applet (after configuring it to use avahi):

Dec 28 08:00:46 linux-robert avahi-daemon[3322]: dbus-service-type-browser.c:
interface=org.freedesktop.Avahi.ServiceTypeBrowser,
path=/Client1/ServiceTypeBrowser1, member=Free

That seems to be my event. I can't use avahi-browse to see the service though,
nor zeroconf:/ in konqueror , nor a program called mdns-scan . I'm sure I'm
just missing something simple. Any ideas ? Please advise what config info I
can supply if needed.

Robert
--
Faster, better, cheaper - choose two of the above.   - Old engineering proverb

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.   - Another old
engineering proverb