[avahi] Strange MDNS response from Axis cameras

Iván Sánchez Ortega i.sanchez at mirame.net
Tue Feb 7 08:10:56 PST 2006

El Martes, 7 de Febrero de 2006 15:09, Sebastien Estienne escribió:
[...]
> > Do you mean, something like "ifconfig eth0:0 169.254.whatever.whatever" ?
> > That doesn't look like a clean solution IMHO... I'd like to be able to
> > get the static IP in a direct way... :-/
>
> or using zcip / zeroconf package from debian/ubuntu that does that
> automatically, but it may not be a clean solution in your use case

That's right: I use a network with static IP, and my goal is to use Avahi to
know the IPs of the cameras, not to switch the entire network to zeroconf.

[...]
> I have a mac and i've never seems this behaviour.

Maybe your Mac knows that, when it has a static IP Address, it must not use an
ad-hoc IP address.

> I think some people on this mailing list have better knowlegde about
> Mdns to answer your issue, hope you'll get answers from them

I hope so, too :-)

I'll try to summarize the question for them:

If a gadget returns this MDNS response:

        axis-00408cxxxxxx.local: type A, class IN, addr 192.168.2.81
        axis-00408cxxxxxx.local: type A, class FLUSH, addr 169.254.154.134
        AXIS 213 - 00408CXXXXXX._http._tcp.local: type SRV, class FLUSH,
priority 0, weight 0, port 80, target axis-00408cxxxxxx.local

Why does windows' uPnP think the gadget's IP is "192.168.2.81", and why does
Avahi think the gadget's IP is "169.254.154.134"?

(I think I might as well read the MDNS specification if I have the time...)

Thanks all,