[avahi] Setup troubles

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 15 12:37:35 PST 2006

On Mon, 13.02.06 18:24, Oliver Charles (depth.of.field at gmail.com) wrote:

Hi!

> +bookmarks +dbus -doc +gdbm +gtk -howl-compat -mdnsresponder-compat
> +mono +python -qt
>
> My avahi-daemon.conf is:
>         [server]
>         host-name=gentoo
>         domain-name=home

This is the problem!  ^^^^

Only .local is resolved using multicast DNS. All other domains are
resolved via traditional unicast DNS. However, since .home doesn't
exist as real internet domain all your lookups fail. And since Avahi
doesn't support unicast DNS updates right now, avahi is unable to
register any local services or records.

> Here I load the daemon:
>         gentoo ~ # avahi-daemon
>         Found user 'avahi' (UID 103) and group 'avahi' (GID 410).
>         Successfully dropped root privileges.
>         avahi-daemon 0.6.4 starting up.
>         *** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this
>         host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended.
>         ***

What's this? Do you have another stack running? Not a good idea,

>         socket() failed: Address family not supported by protocol

You don't run IPv6, right? (That's not tragic)

>         New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.
>         Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address
>         192.168.1.2.
>         Network interface enumeration completed.
>         Registering new address record for 192.168.1.2 on eth0.
>         Registering HINFO record with values 'I686'/'LINUX'.
>         iface.c: avahi_server_add_service() failed: Not supported
>         iface.c: avahi_server_add_service() failed: Not supported

These two messages are a result of avahi not supporting unicast DNS
updates right now.

>         Server startup complete. Host name is gentoo.home. Local service
>         cookie is 1548190695.
>         Failed to add service 'Remote Terminal on gentoo' of type
>         '_ssh._tcp', ignoring service group
>         (/etc/avahi/services/ssh.service): Not supported

Same here.

>         (New terminal here):
>         gentoo ~ # avahi-dnsconfd
>         Successfully connected to Avahi daemon.
>
> Attempting to browse:
>         acid at gentoo ~ $ avahi-browse -a
>         service_type_browser failed: DNS failure: NXDOMAIN

NXDOMAIN is the (unicast) DNS error which you get when you try to
resolve a non-existant domain. Simply because .home doesn't exist in
the internet. See above.

>         acid at gentoo ~ $ avahi-browse -D
>         +  n/a  n/a home
>         domain_browser failed: DNS failure: NXDOMAIN

Same here.

> Also, running avahi-discover shows very little, only:
>         acid at gentoo ~ $ avahi-discover
>         A new main_window has been created
>         Browsing domain 'local' on -1.-1 ...
>         Browsing domain 'home' on -1.-1 ...
>
>         In GTK window:
>
>         | + Wide Area
>         | ---- home

See this "Wide Area" item here? It shows you that .home is not
recognized as mDNS domain, but as "wide area" domain, i.e. unicast
DNS.

The fix is simple: just use "local" as domain!

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/