[avahi] Installation on SuSE 10.0

Peter Onion Peter.Onion at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 19 06:13:21 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 11:03 +0800, Trent Lloyd wrote:
> Yes, please do :)
>
> And if there is anything that can go into avahi to make this better, let us
> know!
>
> Cheers,
> Trent

I'm rebuilding  one of my mini-ITX boxes so I started to write down what I did to install avahi.
I took the newest sources (0.6.7) and started .....  BUT  ......

When I got to the point where I use YaST to enable the daemon it failed
to start and gave this message in the error pop up

Starting Avahi daemon..done
Timeout reached while waiting for return value
Could not receive return value from daemon process.

I traced this message back to libdaemon.

I've worked out that if I add --no-chroot to the arguments
in /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon the it will start up OK.

The odd thing is that it will start fine if I (as root) run
"/etc/init.d/avahi-daemon start" direct from the command line, and also
it starts fine when started automatically during a boot.

I can't see anything in the changes between 0.6.6 and 0.6.7 that would
cause this.

Peter