[avahi] Wide Area Support

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Tue Feb 28 17:43:32 PST 2006

Hi Magnus,

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 22:05, Magnus O. wrote:
> I saw that there is a config opetion for Wide Area Support. Does this
> work with the 0.6.8 release? I tried but I could not get it to work...

Wide area support in Avahi is currently only implemented for browsing - the
way it work is instead of doing DNS-SD over mDNS on the local network, it
does DNS-SD via normal DNS servers on the internet.

You can configure wide area browse domains (default ones)
in /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf - note some defaults zeroconf.org and
0pointer.de, you can see these in action if you have this config running and
start avahi-discover.

> What ports do I need to open? I opened 3689 for my itunes share I have
> on one of my servers... Any more ports I need to open?

What exactly are you trying to achieve? If you are trying to publish a service
via wide-area, this is unfortunately not supported by avahi at this time.
There is some interest in implementing this by a developer -- but I have not
recently heard of its status.

Cheers,
Trent

--