[avahi] avahi & OpenVPN

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.de
Mon Jan 9 13:59:05 PST 2006

On Sat, 07.01.06 03:55, Tiziano Mueller (avahi at dev-zero.ch) wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I have a question concerning avahi & OpenVPN (or VPN in general). In the
> company I work, we use openvpn for remote connection. The OpenVPN client
> can update the dns-servers/search-domain only on win32. On linux a
> script is needed, which adds this information to resolv.conf.
> Yesterday I discovered avahi and wondered if it would be possible that
> the openvpn-script could just use DBUS to send avahi a message to "scan"
> the new network or add the company's dns server as new service.
> I personally don't like the idea of having a vpn-client which changes
> system configuration files.

I am sorry. I don't understand why you want to use avahi to
configure your DNS servers?

On Linux unicast DNS servers are always configured in /etc/resolv.conf, Avahi
is no workaround for that.

You might want to use a system like Debian's "resolvconf" package to
manage /etc/resolv.conf if you don't like programs messing directly
with that file.

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/