[avahi] scalability of avahi (or mdns-sd in general)

Marc Krochmal marc at apple.com
Fri Jun 16 13:00:36 PDT 2006

Hi Nick,

On Jun 16, 2006, at 12:28 PM, Nicholas Andrews wrote:

> In a talk Stuart Cheshire gave at Google
> (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7398680103951126462&q=bonjour
> )
> he goes as low as 100 hosts as already being too many. He isn't clear,
> however, on if that means that it would generate too much chatter to
> be practical or just more than what the protocol is supposed to be
> used for (and indeed there is no mention of the type of network).
>
> I know that SLP allows scopes to be defined to help scale to larger
> networks, and I was wondering if there was (or could be) an equivalent
> with mDNS-SD? My application is a wireless ad-hoc network, so the
> question of overhead is an important one.

On Apple's Ethernet network, we typically have around 300 machines all
advertising at least two services, and typically browsing for many
services, and this works out well.  We see average multicast traffic
of around 250 packets per minute.

We also have a campus wide wireless network, and typically there can
be around 500 machines, and even this works out well, although packet
count goes up as network latencies increase.  I've heard of college
campuses with around 800 machines on a single Ethernet link, and this
starts to cause too much traffic, especially if these campuses are
running older versions of Mac OS X which have less efficient versions
of the mDNS responder.

Hope that helps.
-Marc