[avahi] using Avahi in unaware applications

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Tue Jun 20 21:34:50 PDT 2006

Hi Norman,

You are after 'libnss-mdns'

It is even packaged in debian, all you need to do is install the package
(libnss-mdns) then edit /etc/nsswitch.conf so that the hosts line looks
something like this:
hosts:          files dns mdns

(essentially add mdns on the end)

That said, this is apparently better:
hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

According to the official documentation.

This will allow .local domaisn to be resolved as per normal

For more information see http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/nss-mdns/

Trent

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:29:04PM -0400, Norman Ramsey wrote:
> I just discovered Avahi, and I am really impressed.  It is exactly
> what I needed!
>
> I've doctored my slogin and ssh scripts so that if they see a hostname
> of the form *.local, they will ask avahi-resolve to get the IP address.
> But what I would really like to do is somehow change my system resolver,
> so that *any* application will send .local requests to avahi and
> other requests to the standard DNS service.  Does anybody know
> a way to change the resolver library, or to change the configuration
> for named, to make this happen?
>
> I am running Debian etch with named from the bind9 package.
>

> Norman Ramsey

Trent Lloyd <lathiat at bur.st>
Bur.st Networking Inc.